Wednesday, May 9, 2012

summer reading: an inconclusive list.

i have made my goal this summer to read all the books i should have read before i began my education as an english major. meaning that these books should have been read long ago but i somehow managed to weasel my way out of actually reading them. now i feel, with a better and more diverse understanding of literature, i'm ready to take them on.

this past year has been instrumental in defining for me just how wonderful and useful [yes, useful] an english degree actually is. for years i have felt deflated about my choice to study english because everyone made it seem like i could only become a teacher but now i have a much broader appreciation for the subject.

with all that being said, here is an inconclusive list of my summer reads. inconclusive because i can't visually see my books so i may have skimped on a few, or i may have added an excess that i never actually plan on reading! most of these books are posted in the left sidebar for reference throughout the summer season [mainly i only posted there what i brought with me to toronto!].

i usually give myself big summer reading goals. and never, ever have i reached them. but with a more "consistent" work schedule. [and by "consistent", i only mean, i'm consistently working everyday!] after 10 hours of staring at a screen it's just about the last thing i want to do when i get home.

so reading it is.

it has been a privilege to bond with many bloggers and friends over reading and amazon addictions so i hope that will give me some implied accountability as i work towards actually reading more than half a book these next 4 months.

so far so good though. i've already knocked off two books from this list! #win










don't be overwhelmed. i only plan on getting through 10-15 of them. which is still a lot. but since i already finished two, that means only 8-13 to go!!

what are YOU planning on reading this summer? have YOU read any of the above books? what did YOU think!?


see more of my reads at goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Let's see... I've read the Austen, "Love Does," To Kill a Mockingbird (which is one of my favorite classics), Great Gatsby, Narnia (another all-time favorite), and trust me, you'll love Desiring God and One Thousand Gifts. Be sure to let me know if the Zacharias book is good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bronte, Austen, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Lewis, Salinger... you have a wonderful summer ahead of you :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading! leave sweet comments here! i appreciate them so so much!