Wednesday, July 4, 2012

what makes a godly woman? {guest post from leelee!}


today, i am excited to share with you a post from blogger leeann. she is writing a book entitled "Like a Lily: Learning to See Yourself As Jesus Does", which appropriately discusses the topic she writes about here - finding your value and worth in Jesus and not earthly things.

she blogs at leeleewrites.com , can be found on facebook at leelee writes, and on twitter @leeleegirl4

a miniature biography:
your standard (or “less than standard”) starbucks drink: Vente Hot Chocolate
your all-time favourite book: Either Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows or Pride and Prejudice
someone you look up to and why: I look up to my mom because she is one of the strongest, smartest, and bravest women I know.
if you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?: toes in the sand, book in hand at the beach!

thank you for sharing leelee!



picture via pinterest

What Makes a Godly Woman? I could not answer that question for the longest time.  I was not even sure if I wanted to discover the answer to that question.  The things that I read and the things that I heard contradicted each other.  Be an individual.  Be like her. Be strong. Be meek. Guard your heart.  It is your responsibility to protect guys from viewing your body lustily.  You cannot be responsible for the heart of others. Do this. Do not do that.  All the chatter was enough to confuse someone far wiser than I.  Something had to change.

I needed to change. I stopped reading the books, magazines, and websites that did not sit well with my soul.  To stop reading was a crazy proposition for an avid reader, but it was a necessary step.  Instead of reading about Christianity, I chose to take the time to reacquaint myself with Christ himself. I poured over Scripture.  I prayed, seeking wisdom and for those ancient words to relate to my life as a young woman living in 21st Century America.

When God whispers into my heart, “Leeann, this is for you”, I listen. I urge you to ask deep questions in prayer. He will most certainly answer you. As He answered my prayers, I learned how my value rests in Jesus Christ and not in my accomplishments.  My eyes were opened and I saw wonderful truths. Truths such as:
  • I am beautiful because God created me
  • I am chosen by Him
  • I am forgiven of all my sins
  • I am  a joint heir with Christ
  • I am strong, even when I feel weak
  • I am called to follow Jesus
  • I am a grateful recipient of mercy
  • I have been given wonderful gifts that I do not deserve
  • I am blessed
  • I am adopted into God’s own family
  • I am free
  • I am made whole in Christ
  • I am never alone
  • I am treasured
  • I am loved lavishly and unconditionally
These truths are not just for me.  They are for all.  These are the qualities that define every follower of Jesus Christ. A godly woman is one who believes in Jesus, seeks His face, and tries to live a life that reflects her faith.  People can say that a woman is any of a million different qualities.  I strive to live a life that is worthy of Christ and that is enough for me.

Leelee

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly what a godly woman is: one who acquaints herself with Christ Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. needed this reminder of who i am, and WHOSE!

    thank you for helping me put my focus right again.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading! leave sweet comments here! i appreciate them so so much!